I’ll be the first to say that I am not a cook. I am a baker. I love the chemistry of baking and how things magically come together and form something delicious. I’m sure this can be said for cooking, too but for me, I’d rather bake. Recently, I have been experimenting more and more with cooking due to the fact that I’m trying to do what everyone else is doing: Saving money. I started poking around my cabinets and found a nearly full container of oatmeal. I had bought this to make some dog treats and the rest had just been sitting there, waiting to be used.
After a bit of thought, I said to myself, “Self, you have chicken. Bread this here chicken with this here oatmeal!” And so I did.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast, I cut each breast into two pieces
- 1/2 cup
milkI used Lactaid since again, no dairy is kept in this house…Except cheese. I love cheese
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2in. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
- In a shallow bowl, combine oats, paprika, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, cumin, and pepper
- In a small bowl, pour in your milk
- Dip chicken in the milk, then coat with the oat mixture
- Place coated chicken in the prepared baking dish
- Drizzle melted margarine on top of chicken
Pop that baking dish in the oven and go file your nails, or something, for 30 minutes. Take it out, let it cool, and voila!
This came out better than I expected. It smelled great while it was cooking in the oven but I was still unsure of how it would taste. It’s a bit of a spin on your typical fried chicken, difference being this is baked and a lot healthier for you.
I’ll probably be a bit quiet for the next couple of days. I’ll be busy saving the world, as in I’m seeing The Gaslight Anthem on Wednesday and that saves MY world.