It’s that time again….That time when a bunch of people are matched together via The Lean Green Bean and her Foodie PenPal database. What is Foodie PenPals? Every month you are assigned someone in your country, you then contact this person within 72 hours and find out their likes, dislikes, food allergies, etc. Once all of that information is gathered, you send them a package worth $15 of food they would like by the 15th of the month. You also include a handwritten note with your package to make it extra special. The person you send the goodies to is NOT the person you receive goodies from. It’s a fun program and a great way to meet new bloggers and friends! I have met a lot of fantastic people through this program and each month that I participate, it gets better and better.
This month my foodie penpal was Leslie from My Kitchen Is Open. She lives in Texas and sent me a bunch of snacks that I can occasionally find up here (but not always) and love. I don’t know how she guessed I would enjoy these, but this girl is good.
- Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice: I’m a big fan of quinoa and an even bigger fan of brown rice. This was super easy to make (cut the top and pop it in the microwave) and contained two portions. Definitely a great after-gym lunch.
- Obleas: Being that I’m from New York, we have tons of access to yummy Hispanic treats. Obleas have always been a favorite of mine and Leslie somehow guessed it and sent me a pack. They’re the perfect goat milk wafer with caramel inside. Amazing, light, and something I could easily snack on all day long….
- Homemade Coconut Date Rolls: Date rolls are an item my aunt used to make every year around the holidays. Leslie made a batch right before sending my package and included a few for me! These were wonderful. They were light, airy, and had the perfect amount of coconut rolled onto them. They were also gone within a matter of minutes.
- Peeled Dried Fruit: Dried fruit does not get nearly enough love, in my opinion. Peeled includes various fruits in airtight bags. They are also completely fresh and not filled with preservatives like some other brands are. This batch included mangoes, bananas, and pineapples. Mangoes are my favorite fruit so this was an automatic win in my book.
- Lucas Salsa-ghetti: Yes, it’s a candy and it looks like spaghetti, This was yummier than I expected it to be since I’m not big on fruit treats (unless they’re real fruit like Peeled is).
- GoGo Apple Sauce: GoGo is a brand that came up with the genius idea of packaging apple sauce into on-the-go packs. They have a little twist-off at the top and you can drink them almost like a Capri Sun but without the hassle. Very convenient!
- Tiliko: These were probably my least favorite out of the bunch but still good.
- Justin’s All-Natural Peanut Butter: I always forget to tell my foodie penpal that I dislike peanut butter. I think in a way it works out, though simply because it gives me the chance to potentially find a peanut butter I will fall madly in love with. I did try out Justin’s and while it was incredibly light due to it being all-natural, it still wasn’t my cup of tea. I wanted to fall in love with it but when push comes to shove, I’m just not a peanut butter fan. No worries. This was still gobbled up by others that do love peanut butter!
Overall, this was a great Foodie PenPal package. I was greatly surprised by Leslie’s findings. Now how do I buy a carton of Obleas without 1) looking insane and 2) eating them all in one sitting?
Join Foodie Penpals! Do it now, no really. I’m serious.