As I have stated in the past, I am not a vegan. I prefer vegan baking due to the absence of eggs, however, I do eat cheese, certain meats, etc. Sometimes an idea strikes that is not vegan; this was one of those times. I was watching Masterchef and suddenly felt inspired to try out bacon chocolate chip cookies. Tons of people love bacon and tons of people love chocolate chip cookies. It sounded like a match made in heaven to me! I know this recipe has been done many times before, so this idea is not my own.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter at room temp. (I used Earth Balance vegan margarine since that’s all I had in the house)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. rum (you can also use maple extract, but that’s hard to find)
- 1/3 cup cooked, chopped bacon (I used Hormel bacon bits that you typically put in salad)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (as always, I stuck with Ghiradelli)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add 1 egg to the butter/sugar mixture, beat until blended.
- Add the second egg, vanilla, and rum (or maple). Beat until blended and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour mixture a little at a time until combined.
- Stir in bacon and chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets.
- Cook until golden brown around the edges, around 10-12 minutes (my top rack took 10 minutes, my bottom rack surprisingly took longer, closer to 12 minutes).
- Transfer to cooling racks and allow them to cool. Makes around 24 cookies (LARGE cookies! These came out huge!).
Here’s the batter, which was super yummy btw:
And the finished product. Yes, they are that big:
I’m very proud of these. Yes, they’re not exactly round like a cookie typically is but they taste fantastic. There’s just a hint of bacon flavor, so it’s not overpowering.