I recently joined the Foodie Pen Pal Program run by The Lean Green Bean. The program works as follows: Every month, you send $15 worth of food to a pen pal designated to you. In return, you get $15 worth of food from a different pen pal. You include food plus a handwritten note (this can be a recipe, a little memo, etc.). You get your pen pal on the 5th of each month and you must send your goodies by the 15th of that same month! Then on the first day of the following month, you type a blog post discussing what you received.
I’m a bit early with my entry since I won’t be around tomorrow. This is definitely a fun program. I had heard nothing but good things about it so I couldn’t wait to give it a go. I recommend you do the same!
My pen pal was Kelly from “wait…I’m running?!”. The funny part about my pen pal is that we live in the same city. This worked out great, however, because I found a few new spots I need to check out and buy more of these goodies from!
My box contained the following items:
- A couple of Cliff Bars for when I hit the gym. I loved the chocolate chip one but was indifferent about the oatmeal one.
- A FatWitch “Breakfast Witch” brownie. This was amazing! It’s a brownie made out of your typical brownie ingredients but also oatmeal (hence the breakfast part). It was nice and light yet very filling. Best part? They’re baked in Brooklyn so they’re easily accessible for me!
- Natural Peanut Butter. I’m kinda iffy about typical peanut butter, mostly due to the consistency. This PB was actually relatively tasty. The consistency still bothered me a bit but it wasn’t terrible.
- Grapefruit and Smoked Salt Marmalade. This was beyond yummy. I’m so-so about oranges and such but grapefruits don’t bother me so much. This has the perfect tang flavor but with a hint of sweetness. It goes with almost anything and I finished it off pretty quick.
- Whole Wheat Crackers. These were so light and crispy, right up my alley. They crack perfectly and went well with the marmalade mentioned above.
- Rosemary Salt. I have tried this on baked chicken and turkey burgers thus far. Very, very tasty. The flavor isn’t overwhelming whatsoever but it’s the perfect hint of rosemary flavor with any kind of poultry.
I have already signed up to be part of next month’s program. I am beyond excited to do this again. As I mentioned about, definitely check out the program when you get a chance and give it a go.