I have a potluck to attend on Saturday and have been toying with ideas of what to bring. I recently bought a new baking pan in the shape of a Jack O’Lantern. I decided to make use of it since it had been sitting in a cabinet and also since I hadn’t baked anything vegan in a while. Let’s be honest, I was getting sick of separating eggs because they’re gross and slimey and ugh. Below is my recipe for a cinnamon crumb (or coffee) cake.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup soy yogurt (I used vanilla but you can use plain, if you can find it)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or soy)
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a round cake pan (or in my case, a festive Halloween pan).
- Mix together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a cutting board, cut the margarine into small chunks (I cut them into 4’s) and add them to the mix. Mix for a couple of minutes with a hand mixer. This is your “dry ingredient” mix.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the dry ingredient mix and put into a separate bowl. Add the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar, mix together well. This is your “topping”.
- To the remaining dry ingredient mix, add the soy yogurt and milk and mix until the consistency is smooth.
- Put the batter into the round cake pan and spread evenly. I used a rubber spatula to spread it around.
- Spread the topping evenly onto the batter. Melt 2 tablespoons of margarine in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Drizzle the melted margarine over the the batter and with the topping.
- Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
You’ll see in my photo below that I didn’t cover the facial pieces because even though I was eventually going to flip it, I wanted to test it out with some icing eventually.
Keep in mind that this cake is not very sweet. I’m sure you could make it sweeter if you modified it a bit but since I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, this was perfect for me. I also cannot wait to use this pan again.