I have finally left the pumpkin behind and moved on to peppermint. I feel as though peppermint is a seasonal favorite and a personal favorite, as well. While shopping for some basic baking supplies, I came across a Ghiradelli peppermint bark chocolate baking bar. They can do no wrong, in my opinion, so I bought it and decided to incorporate it into a brownie recipe. So why is this called a blondie recipe? Well, these came out much lighter than typical brownies, probably due to the fact that only half the bar is actual chocolate and the rest is peppermint bark.
- 3 ounces Ghiradelli Peppermnt Bark Baking Bar (these are sold as 3.5 ounce bars so break it off accordingly)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (use sea salt, if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, extending it up two sides. Butter the parchment or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a double-boiler, over gently simmering water, melt chocolate and butter together until only a few unmelted pieces remain. Remove from heat and stir until smooth and fully melted.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs one at a time. Then whisk in the vanilla, followed by the salt.
- Stir in the flour with a rubber spatula and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Spread the mixture until it is even.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 45 minutes, then “flip” the baked blondies onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool for another 5-10 minutes before slicing them. They actually didn’t completely settle until they sat overnight, but they still tasted great!
See how light they are? You’ll probably see a few red flakes once they’re baked. These are from the peppermint bark and mostly form around the edges. Trust me when I say these make your mouth feel clean after you eat one. It’s a refreshing taste and probably one of the many reasons I simply adore peppermint anything. Enjoy.