I was recently asked to bake dark chocolate cookies. From time to time, the people in my life make requests and I either choose to follow through with baking said requests or ignoring them for whatever reason. This time I decided to follow through because 1) I had not baked in a bit (the kitchen sink is still out of order) and 2) I love dark chocolate because milk chocolate makes me physically ill. I then noticed an article with pistachio recipes and I find pistachio to be a nut that does not receive nearly the amount of love that it truly deserves. Joy The Baker put together this recipe and I decided I had to give it a shot. Below is my take on these fabulous cookies.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/21 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips (I added extra because I’m a rebel like that)
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped (Trader Joe’s sells them already shelled and they are the most helpful thing ever)
Smoked salt for toppingSmoked salt sounded repulsive to me so I left it out
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, fixed with the paddle attachment, beat butter and both sugars until pale and fluffy (about 6 minutes). Add the egg and beat in for about 1 minute. Add the vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- In a medium bow, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture all at once to the butter mixture. Beat on a low speed until JUST incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and pistachios with a spoon.
- Scoop the cookie dough by the tablespoonful (she suggested 2 tablespoonfuls but that would have made Hulk size cookies) onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave about 2 inches of room between each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 16-18 minutes (the bottom rack of my oven was done at 16 minutes, the top rack was done at 18 minutes) or until just golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies came out huge! They are absolutely delicious! The dark chocolate has the perfect bite to it and you get a nice touch of pistachio as you finish chewing. You also get to enjoy the visual of the lovely green tint that shines through when you make anything with pistachios. I will go as far to say that these are the best cookies I have ever made. My Seal A Meal was misbehaving earlier but I finally got it to work so now I’m able to ship some of these babies to the person who originally requested dark chocolate cookies. Enjoy.