Every once in a while, I get an urge to melt either some vanilla or chocolate coating and add it to something. A couple of months ago, I melted down some chocolate and dropped mini pretzels into it. These came out delicious, especially since I LOVE coated pretzels. I’m THAT girl who will sit with a bag of yogurt covered pretzels and devour the whole thing in one sitting. I recently discovered the Log House brand of coatings and have stuck with them ever since. They’re sold at Target for $1.70 for a 20 oz. bag. You can’t go wrong with that. Today I grabbed a bag of vanilla coating, talked another customer into buying their own bag, and grabbed some pita chips because 1) I love pita and 2) I was determined to make this yummy.
- 20 oz. Vanilla Coating (I use Log House brand but there are others out there)
- 8 oz. Plain Pita Chips (I used Stacy’s Naked Pita Chips)
- In a warm double boiler (use a saucepan if you lack a double boiler), add half the vanilla coating. Once the coating is halfway melted, add the remaining coating (Log House’s coating comes in squares).
- Constantly stir the melting coating to be sure it doesn’t burn. Yes, I know in a double boiler most things WON’T burn, however, I am paranoid.
- Once all of the coating is melted, add the pita chips 3 or 4 at a time.
- Coat the pita chips on each side with the aid of tongs and move them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (you can also use cooling racks with paper towels underneath to collect the excess coating).
- Once all of the coated pita chips are on the cookie sheet, move them into the fridge for 10 minutes to harden.
- Remove from the fridge and break them off. Enjoy!
These came out even better than the pretzels I had previously made using the chocolate coating. The pita off sets the vanilla flavor a bit so it’s a nice game to play with your taste buds. I would definitely try these with the cinnamon flavored pita chips, as well! Coating is very versatile and can be used with nearly any snack. This recipe is also extremely simple, fast, and will make your guests very happy. In my case, I made these for me.