I have an annual BBQ. Each year there is always at least one person who doesn’t eat something. I tend to be one of those people myself. I make it a personal goal to have food for everyone and for everyone to enjoy said food. This year I had a Pescatarian on board. Luckily, I love fish (as do many others who attend my BBQ) so I decided let’s try salmon burgers. I, of course, had beef burgers and turkey burgers, as well. Please keep in mind that the recipe below is a bit of a work-in-progress. The taste was great and everyone loved them BUT I need something to bind them together better. The lemon helped but not enough for my standards. I’m open to suggestions.
- 1 (16-ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (doesn’t need to be fresh)
- 2-3 shakes onion powder (if you’re fancy, you can chop up an onion)
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- In a medium bowl, mix together the salmon, eggs, parsley, onion, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, basic, and red pepper flakes.
- Crumble salmon over the mixture and get all up in there to start combining. If you don’t use your hands to complete this step, I AM judging you.
- Form into 6-8 firmly packed patties (depending on the size you want them) and press your thumb in the center so they don’t “puff” when they’re cooking.
- I grilled mine in a grilling cage (you’ll see what I mean in the picture below) until they were completely cooked and looked like a yellowish color.
- Serve on a hamburger bun or eat by itself!
These really were super tasty. I’m actually looking forward to making them again sometime soon.